I don’t own a high definition TV. I cut the cord to my cable service more than 2 years ago. I mostly stream video content on my Mac. I watch some broadcast content on a small analog TV using an antenna. That all said, when I heard about Google’s new Chromecast, it turns out to be a must have device, even if I don’t own a HDTV!
So here are my top 10 reasons to get this.
1. It’s affordable! A streaming device that only costs $35? I’m getting this.
2. Easy to use. From all the reports I have read and videos viewed, it looks like this device is easy to use. Just plug it in to your TV’s HDMI port, power source (USB on TV or wall outlet), connect it to your high speed wi fi network and you’re good to go.
3. Works with Macs, iOS devices, Android devices and PCs.
4. Allows Chrome browser content from any of these devices to be streamed to your TV. I would assume this would include web versions of YouTube, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and a lot of other video services that I currently watch on my Mac.
5. Chromecast is small and portable. Fits in your pocket which means it is easy to travel with.
6. In my case this will prompt me to buy an HDTV set.
7. Chromecast will also allow me to stream audio content such as Pandora, I Heart Radio, Google Play and anything else that I can stream from the Chrome browser. Will it support Apple’s iTunes? Probably not.
8. It is another good reason why I am taking advantage of Google’s generous free storage of audio content to their Play Music service. I already have 6,000+ songs there.
9. A perfect companion device for cord cutters like myself.